Sunday, July 29, 2012

It's Alive! It's Alive!

My Rostock 3D printer is now moving. This is a video of the home positioning routine.

Some interesting facts on this part of the build:

There was no information at the time of where the steppers go (as in which axis is X, Y or Z in this design).  On standard printers this is pretty straight forward but on this not so much. I placed them as X and Y at the front and Z at the back. It all behaves as expected so either I fluked it or the little dance it does in the video works out the orientation.

Also there was no info on whether the min sensors go on the top or bottom. As it starts at the top, I put Min sensors up there. That was the wrong choice, and there was much stepper stalling and belt skipping. It took a little while to work out what was going wrong as it is not obvious in this design and many random things happen in this configuration. After swapping them around and having min sensors at the bottom, it behaves properly.

My next steps are:
  • add some supports in the back corners that can be used to "pull" the axis perfectly square if required and also provide a spot to mount the electronics. The original design has the Ramps underneath but I prefer to have them where I can see them and give them better air flow.
  • Get it all moving level and install the heated bed.
  • I will also print out the pen holder today on my other printer and see if I can get it to draw something in 2D. My Teflon tubing and hot end has not yet arrived for the extruder so no test prints with plastic yet.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing achievement Bill. Really cool to watch. Well done!
    PN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that didn't take long, great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Guys. Things might slow down a bit as I am now at the calibration stage which is quite interesting on a delta printer. Unlike a standard reprap where you can isolate a problem on any individual axis, on a delta 3 axis are involved all the time and there isn't much info out there yet.

      Delete
  4. How much it cost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not kept track yet as some bits I already had but I think I have spent about $500 dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bill,

    I also build one.
    Just uploaded the firmware and tested the movement of the motors, but i think homing doesn't respond like your video.
    I'm testing without belts at the moment.

    So i've put the min. endstops at the bottom , left front x , right front y, and the back endstop on z, and also the motors the motors on the same axis.

    Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didnt get back to you, only just noticed the comments. I see you worked it all out. Congrats.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete