Sunday, July 15, 2012

Making the Base and the Top

The Images below how using the printed Jig to mark out the board. I used a protractor to get the 120 degree angles as accurate as possible, secured the jig at the centre position and then marked the points on the board.
This was harder than I thought it would be... Initially I did not have a protractor and just using the jig (which has sides at 60 degrees) was not as accurate as I would have liked.
I wanted the front mounts to line up with the existing edge on the board so as to save two cuts. After some trial and error trying to work out the best way to find the centre, I used the following procedure to mark out the board:
  1. Start off by using the protractor and a ruler to draw a line in from one edge just above the corner (about 31mm up from the corner)   Draw the lin in towards the centre from the edge of the board at 120 degrees.( In the image on the left below its the line starting from the bottom right about 31mm in from the right )
  2. Position the jig in the right orientation across the corner and use the hole at the top of the jig to mark the center of the board along that line.
  3. Use the protractor to mark out the other two 120 degree lines from that centre point and draw them out from the centre
  4. Screw the Jig in place and align it with the angle and mark the holes and edges etc.
  5. Finally cut and drill 2 copies, one for the bottom and one for the top.
I used 11mm MDF board.



Update: I have created a modified version of the diagram from thingiverse that showed only one axis and have it showing the full layout.  I found it more fool proof using a full printed http://www.billd.net/images/RostockBaseDims.pdf

8 comments:

  1. On the image on the left, the upper left corner does not appear to be 90 degrees. The image on the right appears to have 90 degree angles. Now I'm really confused. Nowhere can I find an image of the base that shows dimensions. I found a pdf that show one corner but that did not help me understand. There's got to be an easy explanation on how to create the base and top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will help:
      http://www.billd.net/images/RostockBaseDims.pdf
      The Dark Dotted line is where you cut the Wood Frame.

      Delete
  2. I have since created a new PDF file that has the full schematic of the base showing how you would cut the frame
    I found using a compass and the Jig that there is room for error. So I modified the original plan from Thngiverse that had only one axis showing and made a full base plate in PDF.
    http://www.billd.net/images/RostockBaseDims.pdf
    The Dark Dotted line is where you cut the Wood Frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really helps! Thank you so much!
    Perhaps you can put that on Thingiverse.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One final question, you have 167mm from the center line to the center line of the idlers holes. What is the dimension from the center line of idler holes to the edge of the wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Howdy! Do you own any journalism experience or this is just a pure natural gift? Thank you so much in advance for your answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No journalism experience and a bit of a lousy typist, but I get by.

      Delete